While innovation has worked on over years, the essential method for controlling electrical circuits continues as before. Contactors are most generally utilized for controlling electric engines/ motors. It is seen as an extraordinary sort of relay. Here we have explained the complete information about contactors and types of contactors.
An Electrical contactor is an electromechanical switch whose capacity is to represent the moment of connection and breaking between the power supply and the heap/load. Contactor featured with a simple aspect of the On and Off mechanism. There are various sorts of electrical contactor and its types available in the market, and each type has its unique highlights and applications. Contactors are utilized in a lot of applications such as electric motors, lightings, evaporators(thermal), capacitor banks, and other electrical flaws.
Different Contactor and its Types
To guide you in the best way, here are the different types of contactor and its types are listed below:
1. Knife Blade Switch
It is the most established sort of electrical contactor. Used for ON and OFF electric mechanisms. This blade sharp edge switch is comprised of a strip and a lever. The lever part is most useful in this device to operate this contactor manually as upside-down movements. It has many drawbacks that cause it to stop using it.
Notwithstanding, there was an issue with this procedure for trading. This technique caused the contacts to annihilate rapidly since it was hard to open and close the lever adequately fast to keep away from arcing. Subsequently, the sensitive copper switches went through corrosion, which further made them vulnerable to dampness and dirt.
All through the long haul, the size of the motors extended which further made the prerequisite for greater currents to work them. This made conceivable danger to work such high current passing on switches, henceforth inciting a safety hazard. Ignoring doing a couple of mechanical overhauls, the sharp edge state-of-the-art switch couldn’t be completely advanced due to the of the relating issues and dangers of hazardous activity and the short existence of the contacts.
The drawback of this electrical contactor is High frequencies of arcing prompted a short life expectancy for the contactor which leads to safety hazards.
2. Manual Controller
The knife blade switch turned out to be conceivably hazardous to utilize. So, by considering the loopholes of the previous contactor, this manual controller comes forward with many features of the contactor to prove the advanced technology.
These highlights included:
- Safe to use against dangerous flaws
- Additionally, present in a compact size
- Featured with Double break contacts
The power circuit is activated once the manual controller contactor is enacted by an operator. Once initiated, it conveys the power to the heap. As the name mentioned above, Double break contacts can open the circuit simultaneously in two places which helps to smaller areas by permitting more current.
3. Magnetic Contactor and its types
The magnetic contactor needn’t bother with human intercession and works electromechanically. This is perhaps the most progressive sort of electrical contactor, which can be accessible by remote feature. Therefore, it actually protects against the risks indicated in working and works in case of possible peril. Just a modest quantity of control current is needed by the magnetic contactor to operate the circuit. This is the most widely recognized kind of contactor utilized in industrial control applications. One of the most advanced and usable contactor in all types of contactors.
The above-mentioned different contactor and its types are worthwhile to purchase according to your need!!
How Does A Contactor Work?
Before understanding the importance of the contactor and its function, you need to know about the components of the contactor; Here are the fundamental components of Contactor.
- Coil or Electromagnet – The is a most basic fragment of a contactor is a coil. The main thrust that is needed to close the contacts is featured with coil or electromagnet in contactor. This coil and contacts are secured by an enclosure.
- Enclosure – All things considered like the enclosures utilized in many other applications. Electrical Contactors additionally highlight with an enclosure, which gives security and protection from work power reaching the contacts. This defensive enclosure is produced utilizing various materials, for instance, polycarbonate, Nylon 6, polyester, thermosetting plastics, Bakelite, and others. Overall, the open-frame contactor features an extra isolate enclosure, which safeguards the gadget from terrible climate, dangers of explosion, residue, and oil.
- Contacts – This is one more critical part of this electrical contractor. The usage of contacts is to passing the current in the contactor. There are various sorts of contacts utilized in the modern-day. Specifically named as auxiliary contacts, contact springs, and power contacts. Every sort of contact has its own individual task to carry out. As per our sources, the power contactor price and its usage are compatible!!
Now, it’s time to know how does a contactor work!! here is a brief description to understand the contactor working principle!!
Contactor Working Principle
Contactor working principle is a simple method to understand. Current from the outer control circuit goes through the contactor, strengthening the electromagnetic core. Consequently, the coil/electromagnet makes an alluring field which makes the contactor move towards the armature. A conventionally closed contact then makes the circuit absolute between the fixed & moving contacts. The current is then ready to go through these contacts to the heap.
At the point when the current is taken out, the coil becomes de-invigorated, and the magnetic power tumbles to nothing. The spring power is henceforth higher and pulls back the armature opening the circuit. The plan of contactors works with fast ON-OFF activity.
Difference Between Contactor And Relay
Contactors and relays are oftentimes confused with each other. Here is a list to help you clarify what is contactor relay and understand the differences between a contactor and a relay.
- The contactor is utilized for high voltage applications and the relay is utilized for low voltage applications. For the most part, if the heap current is more than 15A, the contactors are utilized and on the off chance that the heap current is less, 15A, the relays are utilized.
- The basic differentiation between these two is size. The size of contactor is enormous contrasted with the size of the relay.
- When compared to both devices, Contactors are easy to maintain in extreme conditions. But relay repairs are not possible.
- Contactors are generally connected with open contacts whereas relays are connected to closed contacts.
- The most potential difference is that the switching contacts are slow compared to the relay.
Uses Of Contactors
Contactors are widely used in many applications. Here is the usage of contactors:
- Contactors are commonly used in motor starters to overcome short circuits.
- It can be used to operate lights for industrial, commercial, and residential purposes for lighting applications. For this automation lighting, in addition to the contactor, the relay is also used to operate. The latch type relays consist of two coils, which help to open the contact and the remaining coil to close the contact.
- For 12VDC load vehicle, Single pole contactors are preferable to use.
- The utilization of contactors with the circuit breaker guarantees the wellbeing of the activity of burden in ventures.
- Two-pole (3-wire, 1- phase) contactors are utilized to work 240VAC load like forced air system/conditioners.
Further, you need to have more information in plan and utility just as expert help. These components assist you with recognizing an appropriate device that advances security and gives you a worthwhile for your money.
Safe Buy at Eleczo
Contactor and its types are vital devices in the control of a circuit and accompany added security highlights. Likewise, with each electrical device, guarantee you find one that coordinates with your necessities and function. You furthermore need a trustworthy power contactor suppliers, Eleczo – which offers genuine things fulfilling global aspects of electrical goods. Before buying any goods, you can able to check each contact price separately. Compare all prices of contact springs, auxiliary contacts, and power contactor prices now!!